Office of the Provost
Cell (Business): 470-888-7763
ATLANTA—The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia (USG) has appointed and reappointed a group of seven outstanding faculty at Georgia State University with the designation of Regents’ Professor, the highest professorial rank within the state’s system of public colleges and universities.
Regents’ professorships are bestowed on the most distinguished faculty of the system, whose scholarly achievements are recognized both nationally and internationally as innovative and renowned. The appointment is made by the Board of Regents on recommendation of the university president.
“Regents’ Professors represent the best of Georgia State not only for excellence in research, scholarship and creativity, but also for how their work contributes to the nation and the world,” said Nicolle Parsons-Pollard, Interim Provost and Senior Vice president for Academic Affairs, who serves as head of the university faculty. “I am grateful for the board’s recognition, and I am proud of our faculty for this extraordinary achievement. I am confident that they will continue to unlock new discoveries and pursue creative endeavors that enrich our society.”
Initial appointments and re-appointments include:
- Didier Merlin, Regents’ Professor, Institute for Biomedical Sciences
- Xiaochun He, Regents’ Professor, Physics and Astronomy/ Computer Science, College of Arts and Sciences
- Mark Keil, Regents’ Professor/John B. Zellars Professor of Computer Information Systems, Computer Information Systems, J. Mack Robinson College of Business
- Paul Lombardo, Regents’ Professor/Bobby Lee Cook Professor of Law, Center for Law, Health & Society, College of Law
- Pamela Longobardi, Regents’ Professor, Ernest G. Welch School of Art and Design, College of the Arts
- Rose Sevcik, Regents’ Professor, Psychology, College of Arts and Sciences
- Jenny Yang, Regents’ Professor, Chemistry, College of Arts and Sciences
Nominees must show sustained, and recent significant achievements in scholarship with high national and international citation and recognition, exceeding expectations for full professors.
Regents’ Professors are expected to excel in formal instruction, dissemination of knowledge to national audiences, and to be successful and active in the mentoring of master’s and doctoral degree students.
They must also demonstrate substantial contributions in service to their academic discipline and to Georgia State as a whole, including a sustained record of significant positive involvement in the life of the institution.
The Regents’ Professorship is granted by the Board for three years, subject to renewal to a second three-year term by the Board upon the recommendation of the institution’s president, the system chancellor, and the Board’s Committee on Academic Affairs.
After six years, the professorship is renewed at the discretion of the university president.
Learn more about previous Georgia State Regents’ Professors here.