ATLANTA—Twelve Georgia State University faculty members have been named Distinguished University Professors in recognition of their outstanding records in research, teaching and mentoring students in research.
Georgia State President Mark P. Becker and Provost Risa Palm approved the professors for the designations, who were nominated by their deans and reviewed by an ad hoc committee of Regents Professors. The professors will begin the five-year appointment July 1.
“Georgia State University shines in the reflection of the achievements of these scholars,” Becker said. “They are role models for the next generation of scholars, and they inspire students to rise to new levels of achievement. Their contributions make Georgia State a great university, and we are pleased to recognize their contributions.”
Georgia State created the Distinguished University Professor appointment this year to recognize professors who have track records of exemplary scholarship in their respective fields of study, and whose research and teaching trajectories demonstrate a commitment to sustained high levels of academic achievement. The appointments have the potential to serve as stepping-stones to future appointments as Regents Professors, the highest academic appointment in the University System of Georgia.
Distinguished University Professors, who will receive a salary supplement from the Office of the Provost, are expected to continually demonstrate excellence in scholarship and education that is significantly above what is expected for his or her rank.
“All of these faculty members were extensively reviewed by their peers and found to exemplify the highest quality of research and scholarly accomplishment, as well as leadership in their respective fields,” Palm said. “This designation helps recognize and celebrate the accomplishments of our talented faculty.”
The newly named Distinguished University Professors are:
- Andrew Altman, professor in the Department of Philosophy
- Lisa Armistead, professor and chair of the Department of Psychology
- Guantao Chen, professor and chair of the Department of Mathematics & Statistics
- Naveen Donthu, professor and Chair of the Department of Marketing
- Todd Henry, professor in the Department of Physics and Astronomy
- Paul Katz, professor in the Neuroscience Institute
- Jennifer McCoy, professor in the Department of Political Science
- Yi Pan, professor and chair of the Department of Computer Science
- Tim Sass, professor in the Department of Economics
- Rose Sevcik, professor in the Department of Psychology
- Gordon Warren, professor in the Department of Physical Therapy
- Jenny Yang, professor in the Department of Chemistry